7.14.2009

Experiments in the kitchen



Today or rather last week on one of my days off I thought about making some yummy snacks that are healthy and cheap, and can be packed up with Tony's lunch. Well, since I'm an awesome girlfriend and think about my fiancé's lunch prior to him even thinking about it I decided that while Tony was away I would experiment with some healthy and yummy concoctions so that when he gets back from Miami he will have loads of healthy alternatives to pack his lunch with on tuesday when he returns to work.

This is what I got so far:


Basically it a modified granola bar that is sweet but not too sweet and really healthy... minus the choc chips. Since this was an experiment and wasn't using a recipe or anything there are some minor tweaks that I need to make, but for the most part these were pretty satisfying.

Recipe:

DRY

1- 1/2 C Oats
1 Egg
1/2 C  Flax meal
1/4 C Almond meal (just ground up some almonds in our coffee grinder) 
1/4 C  Brown sugar
1/4 C Choc chips
1/4 C Coconut 

WET

1/4 C Honey
1 C Milk
1 Tsp Vanilla

Mix together and pour into 9x9 baking pan lined with parchment paper

Bake for 25 min at 350

The dish I used to bake them in spread the concoction out too thin, so I recommend using a smaller  container for thicker bars. I also think that chunks of slivered almonds would have made a great addition.  I'm also going to try some raisin and dried fruit versions that I think will complement the clover honey I used better than the chocolate did... but they are still good!

No comments: